Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Freshers Week Fun

Good Evening again!

It's been a bit hectic recently with all this settling in stuff, hence the lack of posts over the weekend and start of the week. Everybody seems to have settled in, and I've managed to finally remember at least 5 of the names I've been told since 

Each flat has been allocated an "Aston Auntie", whose sole purpose seems to be to get quite drunk and make sure that everybody has a great time, which they seem to be doing brilliantly so far! I've met loads of people from my flat and from the block (Lakeside C, by the way). The sessions that the Aunties arrange every night have been great for making new friends from the other flats - mostly by making sure that everybody is doin well only at losing drinking games :P

The FresherMania nights at the guild have been great too! Saturdays mass-clubbing-party-thing was great considering I'm not usually into clubbing or the art of drunken jumping around in a room full of other people...I met loads of new friends too...Sunday evening just about every flat from blocks A-C was represented by at least one person piling into my flats kitchen before the guild beach party, resulting in meeting (and promptly forgetting the names of) just about everyone living around me - we got a mention in the Wotsup  newsletter apparently too. I went with a few of the people from C0 and we hung out in Einsteins learning a bunch of drinking games from the aunties...

Tonight should be good too - we're all going down to C0 again and having a few drinks before the guild party where apaprently Skepta is playing live, so everyones been trying to learn the "Rolex sweep all day"...no doubt I'll end up being dragged into that one too :P

I had enrolment and the "welcome to aston" and "welcome to aston business school" presentations yesterday - important, but slightly boring to be honest :p - still, at least I know where to go if I need help now (usually the undergraduate office). Enrolment was probably the most boring part of the day though - thisconsisted of waiting in a queue for 35 minutes, showing the enrolment guy (there was more than one, just to clarify) my driving licence, waiting 5 mnutes while he clicked buttons, saying that my tuition fees were in fact baing paid by the SLC, and then being told to go to the 4th floor to collect my ID card (which took another 35 minutes and doesn't even work...)

More interesting was the actual introduction to my course, which I had this morning. Basically the head of undergraduate marketing (not her official role, but I've forgotten what her official role was) went through the course and what we'd be learning, what we;d be expected to do, who'd be teaching us, and the usual stuff about who to go to for help and bigging up the uni (Aston is, for reference, the best!). The library intro talk was also very good - they went through exactly how to do everything, the online system (which is very good), and the usual stuff about fines (which are quite steep, so I'd best be careful!)

Anyway, I think I've probably succeeded in boring you to death now, so I'm off to go do the washing up and find something to do with myself tomorrow!

Till next time,
Andrew 

No comments: